Diorama featuring the Gold Coast Branch of the British Red Cross Mobile Maternity and Child Welfare Clinic. There are six staff in Red Cross uniform and one member sits at a desk, writing. The vehicle displays the wording: 'Gold Coast Branch British Red Cross' and 'Mobile Maternity and Child Welfare Clinic.' There are women with babies and children waiting to be treated.
The Gold Coast Branch of the British Red Cross Society was founded 11 June 1932 with the aim to maintain and extend Government and other Welfare services’. Following the granting of independence to the country in 1957, the Gold Coast Branch of the British Red Cross was closed after 25 years. The new national Society of the Ghana Red Cross was subsequently established in October 1957. At the same time the maternity clinics that the BRCS had been so instrumental in developing were taken over by the new Ghanaian government.
Associated Person and Role
British Red Cross Society. Oxfordshire Branch