Glass syringe with long nozzle at one end and cork stopper at other, with glass flat-ended plunger sticking out of it. The base of plunger is covered in cotton. The syringe could have been used as part of blood transfusion apparatus that consisted of a needle, rubber tubing and a metal clip. The apparatus was used for the injection of saline into the blood in cases of severe haemorrhage. The needle and rubber tubing were filled with saline solution and the free end of the tubing was closed by using a metal clip. The needle was introduced into the vein and kept in place with ligatures. Then the nozzle of the syringe was inserted into the end of the rubber tube and the saline released slowly. This 'Lane' type apparatus was invented by surgeon William Arbuthnot Lane (1856-1943) in 1891. It remained a highly risky, last resort treatment until the discovery of blood groups in 1901 began to make the process safer.
Associated Person and Role
William Lane (b.1856, d.1943)