Diorama: 'St John & Red Cross Hospital Library Department.' Diorama featuring a hospital ward with library trolley, entitled 'St John & Red Cross Hospital Library Department' on a paper label featuring the two emblems. There are two members, one with a trolley with books and one other trolley. There are four patients in bed, one is reading a book. There is a strip light bulb for use during display.
The British Red Cross started a hospital library service during the First World War, loaning books and magazines to hospital units. During the Second World War the British Red Cross joined with the Order of St John to provide material to Service patients. The scheme was re-organised as a department of the Joint Committee of the Order of St John and British Red Cross in 1945. In 1996 full responsibility for the service was transferred from the Joint Committee to St John Ambulance.
Associated Person and Role
British Red Cross Society. West Midlands Branch