Hand cut glass vase gifted by Cumann Croise Deirge na h-Eireann [Irish Red Cross Society]. The vase celebrates 100 years of the Irish and British Red Cross Societies and includes the inscription in Irish: 'Treaslaionn Cumann Croise Deirge na h-Eireann; Le Cumann Croise Deirge na Breataine; a re cead bliain 1870-1970.'
The Irish Red Cross was formally established in 1939. Prior to this the Society's work in Ireland came under the umberella of the British Red Cross. The City of Dublin Branch of the British Red Cross Society was established in August 1914 at the start of WWI. The Irish Red Cross Society was established by an Act of the Oireachtas [Parliament] on 1st August 1939. The inaugral meeting of the governing body of the Society, now called the General Assembly, was held in Dublin on 5th September, 1939. Co-incidently, this was the start of World War II.
Waterford Glass Limited: Hand made in Republic of Ireland
Associated Person and Role
Presented by: Irish Red Cross