metal badge: Indian Red Cross Society
Maker and role
Embeeco: Manufacturer Production date
See full details
In March 1944, the Indian Red Cross began to recruit a body of trained workers for its hospital welfare service, to supplemement the exisiting volunteers who had been carrying out the service. The War Organisation supplied three experienced welfare officers to help with the administration and the training of recruits. Later, when more welafare workers were required, the War Organisation, at the request of the Indian Red Cross, enrolled seventy welfare officers for service with the Indian Red Cross. The War Organisation placed a sum of £100 000 at the disposal of the Indian Red Cross, which was used to establish two Homes for the care of seriously disabled, one in northern India at Sialkot and the other in southern India in the Balgalore district.
Subject auto tags
All images are the property of the British Red Cross Museum and Archives (unless otherwise indicated), and cannot be used without permission. For queries about permission to use images, please contact email@example.com.